Sunday, March 9, 2008

my commute

Currently, we don't have a car, so I have to take the bus to work everyday. This can be either a 1 hour trip, or it can take 2 hours, if the bus is late. I haven't seen the bus get here on time yet, and the swiss people seem very confused that the bus would have been late more than once. However, the traffic is so 'bad' that the bus doesn't ever make it on time. Not that I mind, but I would like to make it to work on time at least once without having to take the bus that comes an hour earlier than I would like to leave.

So, what does it look like? Well, here is my walk to the bus stop:
Up the hill and to the left of that church you see there (which the bus has to drive through) is the bus stop/post office/bank/civic center/etc:Here is the fine "Chiosco" or "Kiosk" that I buy my dopio caffe from every morning. That would be double coffee, for those of you too lazy or ignorant to look it up on babelfish:


That kind woman is Petra, who makes my coffee, and occasionally makes me a nice, fresh-squeezed orange juice when the mood strikes.

Now, the place we are currently staying is called Carona. It is a quaint little village on top of a very tall mountain. A bus comes every hour, sometimes, and if you miss it, then you might have to wait an hour, or sometimes two or three. Regardless of what time it shows up, the buses here will ALWAYS be better than the stupid f*&%cking bus system in Austin.

Segue: In Austin, there could be a bus stop that *should* show up every 15 minutes. You could wait at this bus stop for an hour, and not one damn bus would show up. Then, right when you get exasperated and walk away from the freaking stop, TWO buses will rip by and not stop. I've run screaming after buses before, two middle fingers waving in the wind. And oh, that screaming and waving the finger really gets results, let me tell you. Not in the world, but in my little heart. And that counts for something.

Anyways, here is the building I end up in downtown. This is where I supposedly make my connection to get to work on time:

I would show you more pics, but I stopped taking them after this, because I was late. Go figure.

No comments: