Thursday, April 17, 2008

i've got ants in my pants

Literally. There are ants everywhere in this city. In our first house, little, tiny black ants that apparently don't bite would appear either over night, or after we had been out. Most of the time, they are not very organized, and don't really seem to follow any sort of line - they just wander around aimlessly once they get inside, like they are milling at a party, and feeling lucky if they come across a buffet. I noticed today that they had found some melted candy above the fireplace, and there were a few of them eating the food, but there were no queues of ants coming to and going away from anything. In fact, alot of ants were moving to and fro, randomly around the place as if they could care less where they were.

The most coordinated action I have seen is when you happen to leave a piece of paper on the ground, or a shirt maybe. You'll think to yourself, 'hmm, I've seen that piece of paper on the floor there maybe 2 hours or so, maybe I'll pick it up and put it in the trash now'. You pick it up, and unsurprisingly, the ants are all huddled up there, shocked that you found them, but not really doing anything useful.

I'll buy some ant poison the next chance I get, but I wonder if it will even work. How much of an effect can poison have, when the ants won't even organize themselves enough to bring everyone in a line, as any self-respecting ant would, to their demise?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You don't blog in a month or so and all you've got to talk about is ants? Tell us what's going on, dude!